Saturday, November 3, 2012

I'm Sorry

Tears rolled down her face as she shook her head. “I can't do it”.
“Get out of the car. Now.”
She started to shake. “Please. Please. I can't.”
“I'm going to be late. Move.”
“Momma, please.”
“This is ridiculous. I'm really starting to get pissed. Get. Out. Of. The. Car. Now.”
She inched the door open, but didn't move to get out.

So went the first few weeks of 8th grade. I knew she was having a hard time. Every morning was the same. But I didn't know what else to do. I was a full-time student myself, with a toddler and a job to boot. I didn't have the patience for what I thought was a melodramatic teenager.

I owe my girl an apology. I didn't understand what was happening. I didn't know.
I'm so sorry I wasn't very sympathetic to how you were feeling. I'm sorry it took me so long to get it.
I will do my best to listen to your concerns and fears without my own stuff getting in the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment