Sunday, September 22, 2013

Childhood Shouldn't Suck

I hear people say all the time "I survived childhood, my kid will too".
Or "being a kid sucks".

Frankly, my childhood did suck. But I don't think childhood has to suck!
Things that suck about being a kid :
School
Bullies
Lack of control of your life
Difficult family situations

School is designed to teach kids to conform. Some actual education may happen along the way, but it isn't the primary function. School is about raising your hand, fitting in, and being obedient. If you're different or weird, you get bullied, sometimes by adults. Personal learning styles are not taken into account, and if your family is dysfunctional, you're basically screwed.

So I homeschool. I allow my kids to learn however they learn best, in a safe environment. I let them have input in their education. We can cover the material as fast or slow as necessary. And they know that no matter what happens, they can come to me. Even if it's bad or scary. I listen to them, take them seriously, and love them without strings. I spend my days with them, and don't look forward to "back to school". The world is our school, and we take breaks when we need them, not because a calendar says so. 
I can accept that this life isn't for everyone, but my family thrives in it.
So I'll continue to homeschool.

No comments:

Post a Comment